Helping Hand Message board
is being replaced by -

Ask A Handyman
Please post new questions there.

| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

A Handyman Helping Hand


Posted By: Ed Wojnaroski
Monday, 19 February 2001, at 11:22 a.m.

I own a house manufactured by Alside in the 60's. Most everything in the house is either steel or aluminum but the floors. They are a composite of plywood and styrofoam. Their is a piece of plywood on both sides of a sheet of styrofoam. It is all glued together and,possibly, has some supporting members inside. I cannot tell not have calls to Alside produced any help. One of the floor panels in the kitchen, probably because of water has started to sag. I think that the top plywood layer has come loose from the styrofoam. Any suggestions on repair? Here's my plan. Tell me what's wrong with it. First, drill holes from the bottom through the styrofoam but not through the top plywood layer. Second, inject a glue, under pressure into the panel so that it spreads out. Third, glue a new piece of plywood to the entire bottom of the panel. Fourth, run a bolt through the panel using a countersunk screw so that the bolt will be flush with the floor level. (Covered with laminate flooring later.) Add a jack post or two as needed for stability. What do you think? Let me know if you have any experinece with this or have a better plan or think that mine won't end me up standing in the basement when I started from the kitchen but didn't use the stairs. Thanks

| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

A Handyman Helping Hand is maintained with WebBBS 3.12. and proudly sponsored by Productive Connection